How To Plan A Group Trip
Everything you need to know to organise a successful group trip
Whether you prefer the excitement of hitting the ski-slopes in the Alps or the relaxation that comes with a week on a sunny beach with a cold drink in hand, a group trip with your friends is always one to remember.
The tricky part…. Being the person making these plans reality!
Don’t worry though, your friends at Collctiv have put together a simple guide to take these ideas from the group chat to the airport. Keep reading and make organising your next group holiday a breeze, with the help of our newest travel partner Travelgift!
What do you need to consider when planning a group trip?
1) Our first tip, and probably the most important of these, is to start planning early. The sooner you start planning, the more time you'll have to research destinations, book flights, accommodation, and make reservations for activities. This also gives people the best chance to keep their calendars free and start putting some pennies away!
2) Set a budget. This will help you narrow down your options and make sure everyone can afford the trip.
3) Decide on a destination. Take some time to discuss everyone's interests and preferences. Whether it’s the nightlife of Ibiza, or the culture on offer in Paris, there’s something for everyone out there. In a big group, some level of compromisation is key!
4) Choose your accommodation. Much like deciding on a destination, choosing accommodation can be a daunting task. There are so many different types of accommodation available for group holidays, such as hotels, hostels, apartments, and villas. Consider the size of your group, your budget, and your desired location when making your decision.
5) Plan your itinerary and make reservations. This is where you'll start to flesh out the details of your trip. Decide what activities you want to do, how much time you want to spend in each place, and how you're going to get around. If you're planning on doing any specific activities, such as tours or excursions, be sure to make reservations in advance - you don't want to miss out!
6) Communicate with your group. It's important to keep your group updated on your plans as they develop. This will help to avoid any surprises or disappointments. Remember, things don't always go according to plan, so it's important to be flexible. Be prepared to change your itinerary or make other adjustments as needed.
How to collect money for a group trip?
Okay, so you’ve got a plan for what needs to happen, but now you’ve got to actually get the money for everyone from flights, hotels, car hire and transfers (the list goes on!). Collecting the money to make this all a reality can be one of the toughest parts. We’ve all got those forgetful friends who ‘will pay you later’, and later becomes a week, then a month, then 3 months (I’m looking at you Joe!).
Trying to organise this over a number of months in the build-up to the trip is going to feel like a part-time job. Fear not though, Collctiv has a solution for this!
With our easy-to-use mobile app, you can start collecting money in a matter of minutes. Simply download the Collctiv app today, start a ‘pot’, share the link in WhatsApp/iMessage/FB Messenger (wherever your group chat lives!) and your friends can pay into the pot in less than 5 seconds with Google Pay or Apple Pay - they don’t even need to create an account!
You can create a unique pot for each expense too, from flights to travel and everything in between. This will ring fence the money, so you can see at the tap of a button who’s paid for what, and more importantly, who hasn’t! Wave goodbye to spreadsheets and hours spent trawling through bank statements.
How to spend the collected money?
The best part of all this? Once you’ve completed the collection for the holiday, you can now purchase a gift card straight from your Collctiv pot for our newest travel partner, Travelgift. From Dallas to Dubai, Travelgift has you covered for hotels, car hire, transfers and much more!
One of the standout features on the Travelgift platform is their host of ‘attractions’ for you to tick off those bucket list experiences with the people you love. Whether it’s a once in a lifetime helicopter trip on the agenda, or a more relaxing (and feet on the ground!) visit to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, Travelgift works with a huge number of operators to make booking these events simple using their official gift card.
To purchase the gift card, simply head into your Collctiv pot, choose ‘Send money’ followed by ‘Give an e-gift card’, and from there you can choose Travelgift and start making your holiday a reality today!
On a final note, have fun! Planning a group holiday can be a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun. Enjoy the process and make sure to create memories that will last a lifetime.
Organisers bring people together
Collctiv has helped nearly one million people from over 140 countries come together for the moments and experiences that matter, by making it easy to collect and spend group money. Download Collctiv and start collecting money today.