How to Throw a Leaving Do
Saying goodbye to a valued colleague can be tough, but organising a leaving do allows you to celebrate them and all of their contributions and achievements. Check out our top tips for throwing a party that’s both memorable and fun.
No one wants to foot the entire bill for a leaving party, so it's important to start collecting money from your colleagues early. With Collctiv, you can send out a custom payment link or QR code - making it super quick and easy for groups of people to pay. (No app download, account creation, or bank details needed!) Knowing how much money you have early on in the planning process will help you determine whether you'll be able to afford food, drinks, a group gift, and everything else you have in mind. Here’s how to create a successful pot:
- Set a clear goal. How much money do you need to raise to cover the costs of the party?
- Be transparent. Let your colleagues know how the money will be used.
- Give your colleagues enough time. Set a deadline and don't wait until the last minute to start collecting money.
- Send reminders. Don't assume that everyone will remember to contribute. Send out regular reminders to keep the pot going.
Give Their Memories To-Go
As your colleague leaves the company, why not give them a memory capsule to take with them? Fill it with funny mementos, inside jokes, and photos from over the years.
If you need new photos for the capsule, chip in some extra cash and buy an instant camera like this one to use throughout the party. This way, you can capture all of the memories from the night and create a lasting keepsake for your colleague.
Cheers and Tears
No farewell party is complete without some tear-jerking moments and heartfelt speeches. If formal speeches aren't your thing, keep it relaxed and create an open atmosphere. Let everyone share their favourite memories and experiences with the departing colleague. Can't find the right words to say? Check out our blog for some inspiration. Make sure you have someone record this part, so your colleague can relish those beautiful words again and again. Get ready to feel all the feels!
Who's the Office MVP?
And finally, what’s a do without some laughs? Create a list of lighthearted awards and have the whole do decide the winners. Here are a few examples to get your creative juices flowing:
- Who's most likely to talk on mute during a video call?
- Who has the strongest gif game?
- Who's most likely to organise after work drinks?
- Who’s most likely to ask you if you fancy a cup of tea?
Organisers bring people together
Collctiv has helped over half a million people from over 140 countries come together for the moments and experiences that matter by making it easy to collect and spend group money. Download Collctiv and start collecting money today.