A chance to step up
Feel under-utilised? Like you could be doing more, making more of a mark, a real difference? Here’s the chance to join a fast-growth, scale-up team where literally anything is possible and can/will happen on a daily basis!
As a close-knit and focused team your contribution is a big % of the whole. You will be a figurehead in your area of expertise with total transparency and accountability. Everything that happens is supported, recognised, celebrated and learnt from.
Experiment and learn
Any idea can be a good idea and we want input from all areas of the business. We are committed to a culture of creativity supported by robust scientific processes, data and customer insight to ensure all ideas are customer centric and can be tested, measured, analysed and learnt from.
Be genuinely part of it
We know what we want to achieve and the scale of the impact that we want to make. When you join the business, you receive equity options regardless of whatever job you do, because whatever that job is, it will be contributing to Collctiv and we believe that should be recognised. Work from anywhere, at any time that you operate best at, with unlimited holidays to allow you to be all of the other versions of you that you have to be!
We are looking for developers with a keen eye for design for the position of front end developer. Front end developers are responsible for ensuring the alignment of web design and user experience requirements, optimising web pages for maximum efficiency, and maintaining brand consistency across all web pages, among other duties.
You will work collaboratively with back end developers, graphic designers, and user experience designers to ensure all elements of web creation are consistent. This requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
You will have the opportunity to suggest and test new features on the back of data and customer feedback, applying scientific method to ensure rigorous testing of a constant stream of ideas and features to continue vibrant product-led growth.
Type of Person
- Refuses to believe that anything is unachievable. Infectious desire to activate and progress. Like a rocket: just light the fuse;
- Is able to change their mind over strongly-held beliefs and pursue a new path with no loss of velocity;
- Communicates on behalf of own team to the broader organisation on important or divisive projects, handling any questions in a timely manner;
- Constantly pushes for a better understanding of the needs and perspectives of those outside their own viewpoint;
- Must be happy working in a start-up environment with an ‘all hands on deck’ approach - able to adapt to changing priorities;
- Open and honest communication skills;
- Commitment to simplicity in design, work, and relationships;
- Understanding of the importance of putting our customers at the centre of everything we do and build;
- Experimental and innovative mindset - comfortable with change and happy to challenge the status quo;
- Collaborative working style - desire to be part of a team and an understanding that all team members have something important to bring to the table;
- Bonus points for being an ‘organiser’ personality type i.e. our customer.
- Determining the structure and design of web pages;
- Ensuring user experience determines design choices;
- Developing features to enhance the user experience;
- Striking a balance between functional and aesthetic design;
- Ensuring web design is optimised for smartphones;
- Building reusable code for future use;
- Optimising web pages for maximum speed and scalability;
- Utilising a variety of markup languages to write web pages;
- Maintaining brand consistency throughout the design.
Technical Skills - Essential
You will notice this section is deliberately blank. We want awesome people. Full Stop. So have a browse through the desirable skills and if you are anywhere reasonably close to these requirements, apply! There’s nothing worse than a missed opportunity for you and for us, so let’s have the discussion :-)
Technical Skills - Desirable
- Degree in computer science or related field;
- Understanding of key design principles;
- Understanding of server-side CSS;
- Experience with graphic design applications such as Adobe Illustrator;
- Experience with responsive and adaptive design;
- Understanding of SEO principles;
- Good problem-solving skills;
- Excellent verbal communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills
Working for Collctiv provides you with complete flexibility - working hours and working location are about what allows you to be the best version of you. We will provide you with any equipment you may need to do your job. We also have an unlimited holiday policy, so you can take the time you need to do your thing outside of work.
£55,055 - £66,192 + options, unlimited holiday, flexible working hours and locations, financial holiday allowance, all equipment paid for.
Location allowances are available
Apply because you absolutely want to…
No CVs or covering letters here. Nope. They are a load of words that take up your time and sap your energy.
To roadmap the process for you, initially to apply all we ask is that you answer the questions that follow.
If successful, you will then be asked to produce a 1-pager describing how what you’ve done previously matches the requirements of the role (no CV stuff or fillers, just bullet points of information and data)
Then the final stage will be an interview (either face-to-face or virtual) for 2 hours with all of the key people you need to meet to know what we’re about, where we’re headed and how you fit into that. After that if successful….job offer!
Frontend Developer Application Exercise
Please send your completed exercise to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are asked to add a button to a website to enable the user to sign in with Google. The website is already using Firebase Authentication. Please do not write any code to answer the questions below.
- How would you approach building this feature given the parameters detailed above?
- How would you change this approach if you were told the feature was an experiment and may not stay in production for more than a week?
- From the different frontend frameworks that you have worked with, describe which is your favourite and why.
- How would you approach building the frontend of a brand new website which was expected to get 75% mobile traffic and only 25% desktop traffic?
- You have just released a new feature to the website. What tools could you use to understand whether the feature had a positive or negative impact on customers.
- A customer has reported an issue on the website. How would you approach finding, diagnosing and fixing the issue?
- Describe how frontend web development interlinks with UI and UX design.
- CSS files can be lengthy and difficult to maintain. How would you solve this problem?
A reminder of why…
- Work remotely from anywhere as a full team member;
- Work with a diverse, international team on a challenge that will positively impact the world;
- Join a mission-driven company that’s focused on empowering the 10% of this planet that make things happen for the other 90%, and making it easy for that 90% to play their part;
- Expand your repertoire to run many aspects of your area of expertise and beyond;
- Join a high growth company and put some big wins on your CV wherever you are in your career;
- Learn from some of the brightest people in our industry;
- Surround yourself with very smart, open, curious, and action-oriented people with opportunities to learn at every turn;
- Take on additional responsibility and level up your skills in a fast-growing business;
- Join a hands-on startup environment where you can try all sorts of things and grow your skills well beyond the scope of what you were initially hired to do;
- Join a mission-led business where the team has a real sense of purpose. Because we have faced many of these challenges ourselves, we love seeing the impact of our work every day;
- Join a strong culture of openness & transparency;
- Enjoy flexible working arrangements